You wear your seatbelt, drive below the speed limit, and check your mirrors faithfully. You might think careful driving is the best way to stay safe on the road, but sometimes it simply isn’t enough. Accidents happen and are impossible to predict, and it’s best to be prepared for when they do occur. Muller Insurance, which serves 25 states and is headquartered in New Jersey, advises on how to anticipate and prepare for potential auto injuries with the right insurance policy.
The Prevalence of Vehicle Accidents
Vehicle collisions happen much more frequently than many drivers realize. Every year, car accidents hurt 4.4 million people nationwide severely enough to need medical assistance, costing the United States more than $380 million in medical bills.
While many accidents are caused by careless driving, not all are. A collision can happen for any number of reasons that may not be the fault of the driver – some impossible to avoid. These include:
- Bad road conditions, like ice or slush
- Poor visibility due to mist or rain
- Potholes, road debris, and falling objects
- Deadly curves and corners
- Vehicle design defects
- Tire blowouts
- Other drivers on the road
Anticipate Injuries with Accident Coverage
The best way to prepare for potential accident injuries is by updating your auto insurance, since not all policies provide full coverage. The last thing you want is to be injured in an accident – only to hear that your insurance will not cover your medical bills.
If you aren’t sure what your auto insurance will cover, we recommend consulting with Muller Insurance. But in general, one of the best pieces of advice we give is to get more injury coverage than you think you need. It’s easy to underestimate just how expensive treatment is, even for minor injuries. You’ll also want to ask about coverage for uninsured passengers so that everyone in your car is covered.
Being Prepared for the Worst
In conjunction with the right auto insurance policy, it helps to prepare for car accidents so you’re equipped to handle them when they happen. Even basic preparations can make a big difference in the case of a car accident. We recommend the following tips:
- Buy a cell phone charger for your car and start a habit of letting your phone charge as you drive, so you’re never stuck with a low battery and no other way to call for help.
- Make sure your car is stocked with emergency supplies, including a flashlight, first aid kit, energy bars, water bottles, and a blanket in case of cold weather.
- Keep proof of your car insurance in your glove compartment where it’s easy to find, and make sure you replace it with each new update. Highlight any contact information.
- Make a checklist for the information you’ll need from the other driver. You can reference the list when exchanging information so nothing you’ll need for a claim is forgotten.
Prepare Your Insurance Today
You might be the most careful driver on the road, but car accidents can happen unexpectedly, and the best you can do is to prepare. Muller Insurance offers comprehensive auto insurance policies that don’t skimp on coverage, giving you confidence that you, your vehicle, and your passengers will be covered in the event of an accident. To find out more about how to update or purchase auto insurance, contact us today.