It is graduation time across the country. Young people are exuberant and happy. Traditionally, graduation celebrations can start several weeks before the actual graduation and may continue on well into the summer before the students transition into the next stage of their life—which could include college or their first real job.
Or, they may end abruptly and tragically. Every year, graduation time is punctuated with news stories of tragic accidents that involve teens after graduation parties. Despite the warnings and strict laws, teens continue to mix alcohol and celebrations. Some 4,300 teen deaths are caused each year by underage drinking.
If you plan to host a graduation party this summer, you need to remember the liabilities you may face as the homeowner if someone is injured at your house or is involved in an accident afterward. Part of your pre-party checklist should include giving our agency a call to check your homeowners insurance policy to make sure you have adequate liability limits.
If you choose to serve alcohol at your graduation party, follow these tips:
- Don’t allow minors’ access to the bar.
- Verify your young guests’ age before you serve them alcoholic beverages.
- Ask a friend or relative you trust to act as a bartender.
- Offer a variety of nonalcoholic beverages such as sparkling water, juice and soft drinks.
- Create a setting conducive to easy, comfortable socializing. Entertain guests with music, games and dancing.
- Always serve food when serving alcohol. High-protein foods such as meat and cheese take longer to digest, slowing the rate at which the body absorbs alcohol. However, try not to serve salty foods. They can make people thirsty, so they drink more.
- Cut off access to the bar one to two hours before the end of the party. Serve nonalcoholic beverages and desserts instead.
- Have a designated driver.
Pomp and circumstance is important, don’t let it result in putting your safety and that of others at risk. We want you to know there are simple ways to reduce these risks. Give us a call today. We’ll help you have the coverages you need to protect yourself and your home should something happen at your graduation party this summer. This should give you peace of mind, so you can enjoy your recent graduate’s success.