Whether you’re a first-time landlord or you have several rental properties, you should have coverage for the risks that are unique to renting out a property. Muller Insurance, serving New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and other states, offers tenant-occupied insurance policies, or landlord insurance policies, that are tailored to meet the needs of our clients. Here are three things every landlord policy should have to keep you covered.

No. 1: Comprehensive Coverage for Damage to the Property

Every landlord insurance policy will have coverage for damage to the property, whether that damage is caused by fire, vandalism, or a long list of other natural disasters, such as hail. If something should happen to the structure of the house or apartment building, you’ll be compensated so that you can maintain the property for your tenants. However, while every policy will have some type of comprehensive coverage, it’s important to know what is and isn’t covered. For instance, if your rental property is located in a designated flood zone, you need to purchase separate flood insurance since it is not covered by a standard landlord insurance policy.

No. 2: Liability Coverage to Protect You if Someone is Hurt

Again, every tenant-occupied insurance policy will have some sort of liability coverage to protect you, the landlord, should anything happen to the tenants or their guests while on the property. That being said, how much coverage you need can depend on your individual circumstances. The level of coverage necessary may be different for someone renting to a single tenant versus someone renting out a four-unit dwelling. Muller Insurance can assist you with getting the most affordable landlord insurance for one- to four-unit properties. We’ll work with you to get the right coverage for your needs.

No. 3: Coverage for Loss of Rent

A type of coverage unique to tenant-occupied insurance policies is protection against loss of rent. If you can no longer rent the property because the damage is so severe, you’ll be compensated for lost income until the damage can be fixed and the property made livable again. It’s important to note, though, that some insurance companies will only cover these expenses for up to 12 months after the covered event. Regardless, this benefit of tenant-occupied insurance makes good business sense, but is especially important for anyone whose sole income is provided by renting a dwelling.

Bonus: Add-on Coverage for Items That You Supply

If you provide tenants with basic appliances or furniture, you may want to add on coverage for these items. It’s not a must-have in all circumstances, but it can help you recover additional costs when something goes wrong.

Muller Insurance Will Help You Get the Right Tenant-Occupied Insurance Policy

Owning rental properties is a significant investment of both your time and money, and because of the nature of renting to others, it comes with several unique risks. But these risks can be managed and covered with the right tenant-occupied insurance policy through Muller Insurance.

At Muller Insurance, we work with landlords in New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, and other states to find them the best, most affordable tenant-occupied insurance policies available. How do we do it? As an independent agent, we’re able to work with premier insurance providers, such as Chubb Insurance, Plymouth Rock Insurance, Travelers Insurance, The Andover Companies, and many more, to provide the most comprehensive list of options available. To learn more, contact us today at 201-659-2403 to request a quote.

Share This Post!