You may be under the impression that standard homeowners insurance policies will fully cover your home. While that may be true, it doesn’t necessarily protect your home in every circumstance. While a standard homeowner’s insurance policy may be able to protect your home from disasters such as a fire, it may not cover your home from water damage in the event of a flood. Protection from rising waters requires an additional policy. Fortunately for property owners in New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Nevada, and other states, Muller Insurance has you covered.

Understanding What’s Covered Under a Standard Homeowner’s Insurance Policy

Insurance coverage provides more than just peace of mind. Under the correct circumstances, standard homeowners insurance policies can help you repair your damaged home and replace your belongings inside. Also, this type of coverage can help cover costs if you accidentally damage another person’s property or if a visitor is injured at your home. Typical coverage for homeowners insurance policies include:

  • Liability protection: When someone not living with you is injured while on your property, you are covered through liability protection.
  • Personal property protection: Homeowners insurance also provides coverage for several of the personal belongings that make your house feel like home. For example, if your valuables are stolen from your home or your furniture is damaged in a fire, personal property protection may help pay to repair or replace these and other items.
  • Your dwelling: One of the basic coverages of a homeowners insurance policy is dwelling protection. This feature helps cover the physical structure of the home (foundation, walls, roof).
  • Other structures protection: Most homeowners insurance policies also include coverage for additional structures on your property, but only those separate from your home. This may include a detached garage, tool shed, or fence.

Flood Insurance: The Special Coverage You Need

Since waterfront property is typically at higher risk for flood damage than homes in other locations, special consideration is needed when selecting insurance. To adequately protect your home and your belongings inside from unexpected events, flood insurance is a must. Flood insurance usually covers building property and personal contents. However, this typically excludes the following:

  • Moisture or mold and mildew damage that could have been prevented
  • Currency, precious metals, stock certificates, and other valuables
  • Decks, fences, wells, septic systems, pools, and other outdoor property
  • Vehicles

With this additional policy, it’s important to understand the extent of your insurance. An insurance professional can go over the details of this type of policy with you to make sure you’re adequately covered.

Protect Your Waterfront Property Today with Muller Insurance

Owning waterfront property comes with its fair share of perks — make sure you have the coverage you need to protect the oasis you call home. Finding the insurance policies that are right for you is easier when working alongside a professional. Since 1906, Muller Insurance has served property owners from New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Nevada, and other states, guiding them through the process, and finding the right insurance policy for them. Contact us today to learn more about protecting your waterfront property.

Share This Post!