While landlords own apartment buildings just as people own homes, their insurance policies look very different. Like homeowners insurance, however, landlord insurance comes in various coverage packages at different costs. Muller Insurance explains what landlord insurance protects and the additional coverages available so you can make an informed decision for your rental property.

What Landlord Insurance Covers

There are a variety of liabilities landlords need to take into account before choosing a coverage package. While some of these circumstances are covered in standard policies, some require upgrades, so it is important to understand what damages the insurance company covers. These liabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Wind, hail, lightning, snow, and ice
  • Fire, smoke, explosions
  • Theft and vandalism
  • Building code issues
  • Glass breakage
  • Water damage from plumbing or sprinkler leakage
  • Damage from falling objects or collapse due to specific causes outlined in the policy

Investing in Extra Coverage

You can also opt for special coverage, which will protect the property against every loss except for those specifically excluded from your policy. Many insurance companies offer coverage packages designed to meet the particular needs of landlords, whether they own residential or multi-use buildings, so search carefully to find one that works for you. For instance, flood insurance is available in a separate policy, while earthquake coverage may be available by endorsement.

Outside of building coverage, you should get a general liability policy to cover injury or losses others face because of imperfect property conditions. As it also covers the legal defense costs of personal injury lawsuits, this protection is very valuable because those costs typically outweigh any awards you may receive in court. Any remaining gaps in your coverage may be protected by a business umbrella policy.

Landlord Coverage with Muller Insurance

Muller Insurance delivers specifically tailored coverage packages to landlords with properties of all sizes and capacities to find the most ideal policy for each personalized situation. Our two apartment policies are designed to protect residential and multi-use residential/retail buildings and include the following:

Residential Building Coverage

This insurance package provides coverage for accidental and deliberate damage and the loss of rental income caused by extensive damages. It also offers liability for injuries and damages that happen in common areas of your property and protection from flooding caused by clogged or backed-up sewer drains.

Mixed-Use Building Coverage

With this package, damage and loss of merchandise and signage for the owner-occupied retail property are covered. It also insures retail liability for customer and client injuries as well as compensation for broken computers and other mechanical equipment.

Exploring Landlord Coverage with Muller Insurance

Insurance for rental property owners requires consideration of several liabilities, but it is vital to protect your property. If you’re still unsure about the coverage you need, don’t hesitate to reach out to Muller Insurance. An independent agent that has been in the business for over 100 years, we are dedicated to helping landlords in New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Nevada, and other states find insurance that serves their needs. Contact us today to request a quote.

Share This Post!